Rurouni Kenshin (Live Movie)
"I definitely will return."
|Director||Otomo Keishi (大友啓史)|
|Producer||Kubota Osamu (久保田修)|
|Composer||Satou Naoki (佐藤直紀)|
|Cinematography||Ishizaka Takurou (石坂拓郎)|
|Editor||Imai Tsuyoshi (今井 剛)|
|Distributor||Warner Bros. Pictures|
|Running time||134 minutes|
|Gross revenue||3,010 million yen|
|Followed by||Rurouni Kenshin: Kyoto Inferno|
Kenshin the wanderer (るろうに剣心)
A Japanese film adaptation of Rurouni Kenshin based on the popular manga of the same name. Originally created by Watsuki Nobuhiro (和月伸宏) and directed by Otomo Keishi (大友啓史).
Two sequel movies are expected to come out:
Bakumatsu 幕末 - The end of the Edo era that marked the end of the Tokugawa shogunate.
Meiji period 明治時代 - The era when Japan moved from an isolated feudal society to a more westernized one.
Isshin-shishi 維新志士 - Means "Restoration" and "men of high purpose". This is the group the Kenshin worked for during the Bakumatsu. For the most part, they worked to usher in the Restoration, putting in place the Meiji emperor and ushering in the Meiji era.
Shinsengumi 新選組 - The "newly selected force" were the special police of the late shogunate period. That put Hajime at odds with Kenshin and explains why he has a pseudonym as a police officer during the Meiji era.
Major Battles Mentioned
- Battle of Aizu - This is where Megumi's family died.
- Boshin War 戊辰戦争 - It was during this battle that the Meiji Emperor achieved victory over the shoguns, ushering in the new age. This is the battle that Kenshin and Hajime are in at the beginning of the movie.
Schools of Sword Styles
Kamiya Kasshin-ryuu 神谷活心流
- The name comes from Kamiya (Kaoru's family name) and Kasshin, which means roughly "active heart".
- The school where Kaou is the assistant instructor. Their philosophy is "A sword that gives life." Currently its only student is Yahiko, since most people abandoned it after Jine started murdering while saying he was using the Kamiya Kasshin-ryuu style.
Hiten Mitsurugi-ryuu 飛天御剣流
- Name roughly translates to "The sacred sword in flight through the sky/heaven".
- An ancient sword style that focuses on dispelling large groups of people quickly.
- Battou jutsu 抜刀術 - This is a technique that turns the movement of unsheathing the sword into a deadly strike. Kenshin's specialty in this is what earned him the title Hitokiri Battousai.
- Souryuusen双龍閃 (Twin Dragon Flash) - This attack involves drawing the sword to strike, then using the sheathe as a secondary weapon on the opponent, hence the twin dragons in the name. In the movie Kenshin says the full name Hiten Mitsurugi-ryuu Battoujutsu Souryuusen.
- Jine's technique. Actually based on real techniques.
- Haishatou 背車刀 (Back wheel sword) - Jine's technique of putting the sword behind his back, so his opponent can't tell from which direction he'll swing from.
- Shin no ippou 心の一方 (One-sided heart) - Sending out chi from the eye to freeze one's opponent.
- Himura Kenshin 緋村剣心 - Satoh Takeru
- Kamiya Kaoru 神谷薫 - Takei Emi
- Udou Jine 鵜堂刃衛 - Kikkawa Koji
- Takani Megumi 高荷恵 - Aoi Yu
- Sagara Sanosuke - Aoki Munetaka
- Gein 外印 - Ayano Gou
- Inui Banjin 戌亥番神 - Sudo Genki
- Myoujin Yahiko 明神弥彦 - 田中偉登
- Chief of Police Uramura 浦村署長 - Saitou Yousuke
- Sekihara Tae 関原妙 - Hirata Kaoru
- Sanjou Tsubame 三条燕 - Nagano Mei
- 我荒・兄 Older brother - Hirayama Yusuke
- 我荒・弟 Younger brother - Fukami Motoki
- Man in Western Clothes ?Kodama 洋装の男・児玉 - Honda Daisuke
- Man in Western Clothes ?Kikuchi 洋装の男・菊池 - Okamoto Koutarou
- Man in Western Clothes ?Mitsui 洋装の男・三井 - Yamasaki Jun
- Man cut down 斬られる男 - 上舎裕貴
- Kubo Husband 久保・夫 - Yashiba Toshihiro
- Kubo Wife 久保・妻 - Anami Atsuko
- Apothecary 漢方医 - Arifuku Masashi
- Mizushima 水島 - Ochiai Motoki
- Investigating officer 取調官 - Nagahori Taketoshi
- Man in white 白衣の男 - Matsushima Ryota
- Kiyosato Akira 清里明良 - Kubota Masataka
- Katsura Kogorou 桂小五郎 - Miyakawa Ichirota
- Yamagata Aritomo 山県有朋 - Okuda Eiji
- Harada Hiroaki
- Takano Ryou
- Saitou Hajime 斎藤一 (Pseudoname Fujita Gorou) - Eguchi Yousuke
- Takeda Kanryuu 武田観柳 - Kagawa Teruyuki
Singer: ONE OK ROCK
- Kenshin's name during the Bakumatsu is Hitokiri Battousai.
- Hitokiri 人斬り just means "killer", literally "man slasher".
- Battousai 抜刀斎 means "master of the sword draw technique". That's because Kenshin's specialty is battoujutsu 抜刀術, which is a technique of slashing the sword using the motion of drawing the sword from its sheathe.
- Kaoru notes in the movie that Kenshin's name means "heart of sword" since the kanji in his name are sword (ken 剣) and heart (shin 心). This is also a reference to an ending theme song sung by T.M.Revolution, also called "Heart of Sword."
- Kenshin's actor, Satoh Takeru, made his toku breakthrough as Nogami Ryoutaru / Kamen Rider Den-O.
- Ochiai Motoki was also in Den-O ep. 1-2. He played Tetsuo.
- Kikkawa Koji (Jine) played Kamen Rider Skull and sung the songs for W and Kabuto.
- Hirata Kaoru plays Tae the waitress (also appears in the scene with the poisoned people). She was MagiRed's love interest in MagiRanger.
- Sudo Genki (Inui Banjin) played the Luna Dopant in Kamen Rider W.
- Kubota Masataka (Kiyosato Akira) was Keita from Keitai Sousakan 7.
- Saitou Yousuke (Chief of Police) played Priest Akaza in Garo Red Requiem.
- Ayano Gou (Gein) played the Spider Orphenoch on Faiz.
- Yamasaki Jun played Houjou Tooru on Agito and Centipede Orphenoch on Faiz.
- Yashiba Toshihiro (Kubo) was Aoki on Makai Senki and on Abaranger.
- Arifuku Masashi played Don Katayama on GaoRanger.
- Kousen was on Ryuki 11.
T-N Release List
|Click to expand|